Clark, Perdue & List
Clark, Perdue & List is a central Ohio law firm specializing in personal injury work. They turned to Team Fleisher Communications after securing a high profile case involving a 3-year old boy who was badly burned over 80 percent of his body when the toy tractor he was riding burst into flames. The nature of the accident led to a high level of media interest in telling the family’s story.
While the law firm was very interested in media exposure they needed assistance ensuring the following objectives were met:
- Media must be managed and coordinated in the best possible way
- Media obtained should enhance the case strategy
- Media obtained should be both local and national
- The client’s needs must come first.
Team Fleisher Communications PR Strategy
Team Fleisher Communications stepped in to manage the entire media relations process, from coordination of interviews, media training and timelines to follow up with media to shape the story and ensure conveyance of messages.
At the onset we identified the outlets both nationally and locally that would tell the story in a favorable manner and reach the largest key audiences. We also identified reporters and producers that would be interested in the story. A pitch was created that would generate continued interest and urgency, thus leading to comprehensive and compelling coverage. Our earned media goals were as follows:
- Serve the interest of the boy and family
- Position the firm in the best possible light now and in the future
- Create awareness among the general public and with parents in particular that there is a grave danger with this toy and that action must be taken
- Reach and identify others who may also have had a similar malfunction with this toy
- Build upon the foundation of credibility that the law firm already possesses and further position it as the expert in this area of law
- Build name recognition so that Clark, Perdue & List is top of mind among those who may someday need its services
Tactics we initiated included:
- Worked with the victim’s family so they are able to express the messages we need relayed while ensuring they are still comfortable, natural and sympathetic.
- Prepared attorneys so they are comfortable in an interview, are able to express the core messages that need to be disseminated, and leave a lasting impression.
- Developed key messages and Q&A’s to prepare for interviews and media inquiries.
- Utilized web distribution service to generate interest once a lawsuit is filed, leading to broader exposure and enhancing SEO for the firm’s website
- Update firm’s website, blogs and social networking channels to build awareness of the case and efforts surrounding it
Within two weeks Team Fleisher Communications secured earned media placements in state outlets including The Columbus Dispatch, Athens Messenger, The Athens News, and all 3 Central Ohio TV affiliates. In addition, the story was featured on CNN Newsroom. Coverage included a live interview with the toddler’s parents and their attorney.
Several months later when a lawsuit was filed in federal court Team Fleisher Communications secured another round of media coverage, as significant as the above. The attorneys are hopeful that the persistent media attention may help lead to a resolution.
Will Perdue, Partner, Clark, Perdue & List
“Our law firm turned to Team Fleisher Communications when we needed to manage the local and national media interest in a high-profile case we were handling. We wanted to take the pressure off our clients and make sure their story was told in a fair and factual way. Team Fleisher Communications responded immediately. They first sought to understand our clients, the underlying “story” of the case, and our specific goals and objectives. Then they proved particularly skillful in dealing with both local and national media and in securing positive opportunities for our clients to tell their story. “